Some of the major themes of permaculture as outlined by the ‘Father of Permaculture’ Sepp Holzer include the following;
- The aspect of multi-functionality with every element achieving multiple functions and at the same time every function is achieved by multiple elements.
- To achieve practical and efficient use of energy, it’s better to work with renewable energy sources.
- Rely on natural resources
- For a small area, intensive systems should be applicable
- Shape and utilize natural cycles and processes
- Use and support edge effects
- Preference of diversity as opposed to monoculture.
With the themes of permaculture in mind, below are 5 permaculture tips for a more sustainable organic farm.
- Use sheet mulching to blend organic and inorganic materials to aid in building the soil.
- By building permaculture guilds and incorporating companion planting that facilitate the whole process.
- Use techniques to help you reduce your water usage and save money on soil by rethinking your gardening space.
- Try the use of renewable energy sources such as solar
- Consult with other small scale farmers and learn new tricks.
Here’s more information on 5 permaculture tips for a more sustainable organic farm.