Some of these preventive measures below come in handy when trying to avoid chicken diseases.
- Don’t confine your chickens but rather let them roam widely and satisfy their dieting needs from raw earth. This keeps the bug population under check.
- Prevent worms by regularly feeding your chickens onions and garlic. Deter diarrhea with sour milk or buttermilk and always remember to keep your chicken feeding troughs free from droppings.
- Always quarantine new birds before they join the flock to avoid spreading parasites.
- Keep the chickens warm and dry through winter by pouring scratch feed in their litter.
Here are some remedies to some chicken ailments.
- Diarrhea – Isolate the sick chickens and provide a potassium permanganate solution for them to drink. You can also add Epsom salts in their diet or feed them with bran moistened with buttermilk or sour milk.
- Roup – Isolate the sick chickens, feed stale bread moistened with milk. You can also try cooked rice and add chopped parsley or onion tops. Don’t forget the potassium permanganate solution as a drink.
Here’s more information on common chicken diseases and their remedies.